Family Sponsorship

What is Family Class Sponsorship?

Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or,
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or,
  • permanent resident of Canada

You can sponsor your

  • ​        Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  •        ​Dependent child (or child you plan to adopt): must be 21 and younger
  • ​       Parents and Grandparents: father, mother, grandfather or grandmother
  • ​      Orphaned  Relatives: brother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter, who are orphaned, under the age of 18, and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • ​      Other relative:  *only Lonely Canadians are eligible to sponsor (have no other family living in Canada)

​​Basic requirements for family sponsorship

You must be 18 years of age or older

  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself

  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident

  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first


​Definitions of relationships​

  • Spouse – You are a spouse if you are married to your sponsor and your marriage is legally valid
  • Common-law partner – You are a common-law partner, either of the opposite sex or same sex, if you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household
  • Conjugal partner – This category is for partners, either of the opposite sex or same sex, in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from living together and therefore cannot qualifying as common-law partners or spouses
  • Dependent children – A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

                ​is 21 and younger and does not have a spouse or common-law partner

                is older than 21 and depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22 because of a physical or mental condition

Contact us for more information about the Family Sponsorship application process or for assistance in preparing an application.