Improve your CRS Score

Improve Your CRS Score

  1. Improve Your Language Test Scores: Did you know that language ability is worth up to 260 CRS points in total for a single candidate? French and English are Canada’s official languages so take a French class and learn both to gain more points. Extra points are accumulated for each improvement in test results across the four language abilities (speaking, listening, reading, writing), but the magic threshold is when a candidate achieves a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 9 in each ability. If you ever studied French at school, or otherwise have a decent knowledge of the language, it may be wise to consider preparing to take the Test d’évaluation du français (TEF).
  2. Increase Work Experience in your field: Although Canadian work experience is more valued than non-Canadian work experience, if you have less than three years of full-time experience, keep working! The goal of remaining in employment is even more acute for candidates currently working in Canada on a work permit because more points are available for this work and it is rewarded for each annual threshold up to five years. Just make sure that if you are working in Canada, you maintain legal work status the entire time.
  3. Study in Canada: Arrange to apply study permit in Canada and get degree or certificate before applying for Express Entry! Having Canadian study experience can significantly increase your score.
  4. Education: Achieving a higher level of education means more points, although qualifications achieved outside Canada must first be verified through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). If you have two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees you may be able to claim extra points under the education section. Furthermore, completing an additional level of education can also be beneficial. Some candidates are only a few courses or months away from completing a degree, diploma or certificate that, when assessed, would help to improve their ranking under the CRS.
  5. Spouse: Candidates with a spouse, however, may have additional potential for improving their CRS score because the spouses level of education, language ability, and Canadian work experience may all be rewarded. You can add up to 20 points to your CRS through your partner’s first language scores. You can add up to 10 points to your CRS score by getting ECA done for your partner’s education.
  6. Get the Provincial Nomination: The only pathway to 600 points since the rules changed on November 19, 2016, a provincial nomination is a great way for a candidate to jump to the top of the pool. The best organized candidates will most likely prosper by taking this route.
    It’s important to display your full education and work record, stay up to date on Canadian immigration news, and have all your documents ready and reviewed in preparation to make an application promptly. PNP categories often open and close quickly, sometimes within days or even hours.
  7. Securing Job Offer: By securing a job offer (approved LMIA) you can increase 200 points, the chances of receiving an ITA are dramatically increased. The best way to achieve this is by conducting a comprehensive job search that is linked to visiting Canada. As a candidate is preparing for a potentially life-changing move, visiting the country is always advisable. If you are not currently in Canada, obtaining a job offer can be difficult, but there are plenty of online resources where you may find employment opportunities.
  8. Getting Help: Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, view our Book an Immigration Consultant page to book a consultation with expert.

A Word About Canadian Job Offers for Express Entry

A Canadian job offer can significantly affect your CRS score under Express Entry, but it’s important to understand that only certain situations qualify to gain the extra points. Valid job offers to obtain Express Entry points include only the following situations:

  • Valid LMIA
  • Work permit based on an LMIA
  • Work permit not based on an LMIA, but which lists the employer and occupation, and you have already spent 1 year working in the position