LMIA – Exempt work Permits

LMIA Exempt work permits

 In most cases, a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required to apply for Canadian work permits. Although typically required, it is not necessary for a Canadian employer to obtain it in order to hire a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW). There are some types of Canadian work permits that are LMIA-exempt and it is possible through the International Mobility Program (IMP).

Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Exemptions

The following individuals are LMIA-exempt:

  • Workers covered by International Agreements
  • Provincial Nominees
  • Intra-company Transferees
  • Participants in an International Exchange Program
  • Academics
  • Co-op students
  • Charitable or Religious Workers
  • Dependants, spouses and common-law partners of full-time foreign students or foreign workers