Parent or Grandparent Sponsorship

Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents who would like to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents from overseas to come to Canada as Permanent Residents will need to complete an Interest to Sponsor Form and this form will then be remitted on the set date that the program opens in 2021. This program is now done on a First In basis so it is important to address your interest in applying as soon as possible to ensure that your Interest to Sponsor Form can be completed and remitted in a timely manner.

Therefore the draw for 2020 is over. Interested candidates must wait until the set date to be determined in 2021 to enter into the draw for the 2021 Parental / Grandparent Sponsorship. In the meantime, another way to bring Parents and Grandparents to Canada is through the Super Visa Program. This program allows family members to come to Canada as long term visitors on a multiple entry visa that may last up to 10 years. A Super Visa is valid for 2 years before it has to be renewed. This can be done to bring your Parents and Grandparents into Canada initially while they wait to be accepted into the Parent / Grandparent Program. Parents and Grandparents who are sponsored under this program by Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents will receive Permanent Residence and are eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship 4 years later.

Eligibility of the Sponsor



  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Must meet or exceed the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) requirement for Family Sponsorship and Sponsors must provide Notices of Assessment (NOA’S) from the CRA to IRCC as proof that they meet these requirements.
  • Must sign an Undertaking that commits the Sponsor to provide financial support. Should the sponsored Parents or Grandparents be in receipt of any social assistance then the sponsor is responsible for repayment of these benefits paid to the sponsored family members for 20 years from the date that they obtain Permanent Residence for Canada.