sponser or cammon-low partner

Sponsor your Spouse of common law partner

The Common-law or Spousal Sponsorship Program is a part of the Family Class category, where Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents may sponsor their spouse or common-law partner to immigrate to Canada.

Since Canada recognizes common-law partnerships, you may be eligible to apply for spousal sponsorship if you and your partner have been living together even if you are not married.

If the application is successful, the sponsored individual obtains permanent resident status, allowing them (with dependent child, if applicable) to live and settle in Canada.


What to consider in Spousal Sponsorship?

If you are interested to sponsor your partner or to be sponsored by your partner, there is much things to consider. Important considerations include:

  • What is your civil status?
  • Are you living in the same location at the time of the application?
  • Is the sponsor a Canadian citizen, or is the sponsor a permanent resident?

Both the sponsor (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) and sponsored individual (foreign national) must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored individual to receive Canadian permanent residence.

Qualifications for Spousal Sponsorship


In order to receive a visa or to obtain a permanent resident status through this immigration program, the sponsor and sponsored individual must prove that their relationship qualifies under one of these categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law Partner
  • Conjugal Partner

Moreover, Canada also recognizes same-sex marriage. Same-sex partners may be eligible to apply under any of the above categories, as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements.

If the application is still being processed, applicants may also qualify for an open work permit, giving sponsored individuals the ability to work in Canada. Read more about Open Work Permit.

To learn more about eligibility requirements for the Spousal Sponsorship, don’t hesitate to contact us and see what we can do for you and your partner!